Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pharyngeal Flap Surgery- Day 1

Surgery went well today, but it's been a long day for all of us.  
 Red Shoes before surgery-playing in the waiting room...things are good.

All ready for surgery and playing with a racetrack...still good.

We handed our Red Shoes over to the nurses a little after 10:00 a.m. this morning and didn't get to see him until around 1:30. We met with the surgeon and she said everything went well. She let us know that there would be a "trumpet" in his nose. They insert this so that if kids forget to breathe out of their mouths they can use the trumpet to breathe out of their nose.  This is because most of the area that allows you to breathe through your nose has been sealed up with this surgery. 

Post surgery- trying to rest with mom, but pretty uncomfortable. 
I'm holding oxygen up to his mouth.  He's doing a good job keeping his oxygen saturation levels at a good level though.

 Snuggling with dad

It's been hard for Red Shoes to get much rest today. He's been very uncomfortable and at times inconsolable. The ENT let us know that this is probably the most brutal surgery she does. She said that his throat be very sore, along with the back of his neck.

He will be able to drink out of a straw and won't be limited to a liquid diet, but rather a soft diet.

I wish I could fast forward a few days, or wherever that point is where he won't be in so much pain.

Here's hoping for a better day for Red Shoes tomorrow. Pin It

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Casey, I can only imagine how difficult this is for your whole family. I will be praying for you, and especially for Red Shoes! Following the blog closely and hoping for the very best outcome. Also, anxiously awaiting news of baby #3...so much going on for your right now. Thinking of you and sending love and a hug--
Liz D.

Isaac said...

I can honestly say that I know how you feel. It's been almost 12 hours since my daughters pharyngeal flap surgery and I am home with my other 2 kids while my wife stays in the hospital with Ava. She when in at 11:30 AM and didn't come out until around 3:00 PM. We got updates every hour from the operating room so we knew that everything was OK it just took longer than expected. The staff at NYU is great so we knew she was in good hands. WHen she came out I almost lost it to see my precious daughter in such pain but she didn't want to take the tylenol with codeine. It's 2:30 in the morning and I can't sleep being that I can't stop thinking that she is probably uncomfortable at this moment in the hospital.

I hope she forgets about this experience because I know I won't.

Ava's Worried Dad....

Casey said...

To Ava's Dad...I will be thinking of your daughter this week. It is so hard to see your child in such pain. I remember following our sons surgery the pain medicine would often wear out before we could give him more. The first week was very hard on everyone. I hope Ava will start taking her meds...it will help so much. Remember things will get better, she will feel better and hopefully the surgery is very effective. Best wishes to Ava!

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey,

I came across your blog by accident. I am wondering if we have talked through email before? My name is Molly and I have a daughter with VCFS and we live in the KC area- does this ring a bell with you at all? We are scheduled for pharyngeal flap surgery on October 8th and we have our pre-op appointment tomorrow so I was doing to research on the internet and found your blog. Would love to visit with you about the surgery your son had.

Take care, Molly

Casey said...

Molly,
If you see this before tomorrow or in the next few days email me at redshoesrolling@gmail.com. I do remember emailing you a few times. I don't think I have your address anymore. I'd love to talk to you. Who is doing the surgery? Dr. Nicklaus did our son's. She's wonderful, and you will be in good hands. I hope everything goes well!