Monday, November 29, 2010

A Weekly Calendar for Kids

I've been really busy lately working on all kinds of learning activities for Red Shoes.  This post is about a weekly calendar I made for him and his sister.  Whenever I mention let's say a visit from Nana & Papa or Grandpa & Grandma on Friday and it's only Monday, I know that I'm going to be questioned every hour of every day until it's Friday.  The concept of time for kids is complex.  This is a fun and educational visual tool that helps them grasp the concept.  Now when I get the question, "when are Nana & Papa coming? I just say, "go look at your calendar".  It works!

Here's what you need:
  • 2 pieces card stock
  • Velcro
  • magnets (the kind that come on a roll)
  • clip art
First, just take two pieces of card stock and tape them together. Once piece would look better, use what you have.  I wanted mine to be small enough to fit on the fridge, but big enough to really see.
 Second, print out all of your days of the week, etc.  If you want to use mine I posted them HERE


Next, you will want to print out your calendar clip art.  This is going to consist of your holidays, appointments, school days, therapies, playgroups, etc.  Mine can be found HERE.  You will need to personalize it for your child(ren).  For instance, add real pictures of grandparents, cousins, therapists...you get the idea.

Then, just cut everything out...I have a laminator that I bought from Sam's Club (this one).  I absolutely love it.  I use it a lot.  If you don't have one you could take your materials to a office supply store or print shop.  That can get costly though...if needed you could use Contact paper.

Here's what ours looked like:


After your calendar has been laminated, you need to break out the Velcro and magnets. I found them both at Wal-Mart.

You need to take the Velcro fasteners and put one side on the clip-art and the other on the calendar. Use the magnets and apply them to the back of the calendar if you are going to be placing it on the refrigerator.

Then, you are ready to plan out your week.  Do this with your kids...they will love to help. It's best if you can put this in a high traffic area in your home.  The refrigerator works very well.  As you are cooking, cleaning, etc. you are right there to answer questions and talk to your kids about their week, the weather and so on.
There are so many things you can teach your kids from this calendar. The weather, colors, numbers, days of the week, seasons, and on.  Oh, and so that the kids know what day of the week it is, you can use a clip and have them move it each day, or smiley face, whatever works for you/them.  That is a really important part of the calendar. 

I gotta tell you, my two year old looked at it and said, "school bus, school bus, school bus, then no school bus right?"  I think she's getting this down! 

Pin It

No comments: