Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Natalie's Baked French Toast

I got this recipe from my friend Natalie years ago.  Here's a picture of us in all of our freshmen college glory. 

It's been forever since I've seen my good friend...and I miss her.  We both have three young kids and you should hear our phone conversations.  They would make you laugh, or maybe annoy you.  Probably depends on where you are at in your life.  Kids always need something, especially when their moms are on the phone. 

We've found that the best time for us to talk is when one of us is in our car with our kids strapped down in.  It's about the only time there is quiet in our lives.

Anyway, this recipe comes from Natalie and I think of her whenever I make it.  Which happens to be tonight.  Yes, breakfast for supper.  I do it at least once a week.  The kids like it and it's cheap. 

Here's what you need:
16 slices of regular bread, cubed (or 8 slices of heavy cottage bread, cubed
1 package of cream cheese, cubed
12 eggs
2 c. milk
1 1/3 cups syrup

1.  Cube up half of the bread and put it into a greased 9X13 dish. 

2.  Cut one package of cream cheese up into cubes.  Place on top of the bread.

3.  Cube up the other half of the bread and place on top of the cream cheese.

4.  Grab a carton of eggs from the refrigerator.  I got these beauties from my sister Jessie.  She's a great little chicken farmer.  Thanks Jessie!

5.  Crack the eggs into bowl.

6.  Add 2 cups of milk to the eggs

7.  Add 1 1/3 cups of syrup
8.  Mix it all up
9.  Pour the egg mixture on top of the bread and cream cheese mixture.  My original recipe says to refrigerate this overnight.  I've had it turn out great when I didn't have time to refrigerate it (like today for instance). Bake the french toast in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. 

*******************one of the best things about this recipe...*****************
This is all that has to be cleaned up!


Here's what your baked french toast will look like when it's done: It looks like I really burned it, but it tasted fine.  I probably just didn't get it mixed up as much as I should have. 

Thanks for the great recipe Natalie, and for your friendship.  Hope to see you before Swoosh goes to Kindergarten!
Pin It

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey great pict. you pioneer women want to be. LOve you Jessie

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey! My mom showed me your blog. I love it and will be making the french toast recipe soon! Keep up the great work!

Caroline (Dever) Turpen

Casey said...

Caroline,
Thanks so much for your nice comments. You made my day! I hope the french toast turned out well.