Monday, June 11, 2012

Living Wreath Tutorial

When Red Shoes was finishing up pre-school last year, I wanted to make his teachers a special gift.  They were incredible teachers, and I felt tremendously blessed that they were Red Shoes' first teachers.  I made them both a living wreath. Here's what you need to make one:

  • Hens and Chicks
  • Sphagnum Moss wreath base (I bought mine HERE)
  • Wreath Pins (I bought mine HERE)

I had a planter of hens and chicks.  I always put my mother in law on this for me.  She can always find me some cheap Hens & Chicks at garage sales.  




The first step in making your wreath is to soak your wreath base in water. 
You need to be able to push the pins in easily

Find a little helper if you need. 

Here's what the wreath pins look like
Next, pull your Hens & Chicks apart.  You're not going to hurt them.  Go for it.  Then soak them.  You just need to be able to see their root system. 
 

Then you just start pinning their roots to the base of the wreath. 
Just keep pinning until it looks good.  You'll know when you're done. Here's what mine looked like.


 Before I boxed up the wreaths and wrapped them I printed out a care card for the wreath.  It really is very simple to care for. The best part? It just keeps coming back year after year. 









Pin It

No comments: