Friday, January 15, 2010

Pictures of Bravery

Red Shoes had to have his tonsils removed in December.  This was his seventh surgery.  Seven surgeries in less than 4 years!  Red Shoes is a brave, brave boy.  When we were driving to the hospital I was talking to him about why we were going to the hospital.  That's always a delicate conversation to have.  I didn't want to tell him too much and scare him, but I wanted him to understand where we were going and why.   When he saw the hospital he said, "found it"!  He didn't seem scared at all. 

We were supposed to have Red Shoes to the hospital at 1:00.  He couldn't eat anything after 7 a.m., or drink anything after 10:00 a.m.  I guess one surgery took longer than expected, and Red Shoes didn't go into surgery until around 4:00.  The picture below is of him playing in the waiting room. I can't think of any other kid I'd rather wait in a waiting room with for 3 hours.  He had to be starving and scared, but he just played and made the best of it. 


The other thing about Red Shoes that always amazes me...whenever it's time for surgery and it's time for him to leave us and go with the nurse, he just gives us a hug and a kiss and goes.  He never cries or anything.  I have, and continue to find that part VERY sad each time. 

The picture below is Red Shoes the next morning after having his tonsils removed.  The night was pretty hard.  Things started looking up when he got to go to the playroom and then have some breakfast.  Red Shoes is a pretty amazing little boy.  He's had lots to overcome, and continues to work hard and demonstrate such bravery.  I love you Red Shoes!


Pin It

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He looks good after his surgery. Looks like he was ready for his pancake.