Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Swoosh Meets Leona...

Over the weekend my mom and I went and visited our friend Leona.  She has been a friend of our families since before my existence.  My mom and dad bought the farm from her and her husband about 38 years ago (give or take a few years).  That marked the beginning of a beautiful friendship.  Leona turned 99 this summer. Ninety-nine!  She never had a family of her own.  Our family is her family. 

Because my sister Jessie was nice enough to watch Happy Feet, and Red Shoes was helping harvest, we were able to make the visit and introduce her to Swoosh. 

Leona was thrilled to meet him and especially hold him.  She lives in a nursing home now, and every time we visit I think about how the people who live there (or by themselves) must miss hugs so much.  I think holding Swoosh and having someone to love on filled that need for Leona for a while.  There's a neat connection that takes place between the young and old.  It did my heart good to watch Leona's face light up that morning. 


Pin It

No comments: