Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Maple Oatmeal with Fruit

IMG_2686
Here’s a recipe that will warm you up this cold morning.  Recently, I had to leave the house really early to get Red Shoes to a Doctors appointment and Happy Feet & Swoosh to their grandparents house.  I didn’t have time to make breakfast at home that morning. Are you kidding me? I had to have three kids age 5 and under dressed, packed for the day and in their car seats by 6:30 a.m.! 
I went through the McDonalds drive-through and noticed a sign advertising the fruit and maple oatmeal.  I’ve never been an oatmeal fan.  I’ve always wanted to like it, but the texture grossed me out.  I thought I would try again as I was looking for a healthier breakfast option.  It was really good! It made me realize that I can like oatmeal if it has some crunch to it.  It had dried cranberries, raisins and apples.  I highly recommend it. 
Here’s a recipe so you can make it at home.
  • 3 cups milk 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup chopped apples
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
In a large saucepan, bring milk and salt to a boil. Stir in oats; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cranberries, raisins, apples, and  syrup.

Yield: 4 servings.

Stay warm and safe my friends. Pin It

No comments: