Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mom's Have Bad Days Too...

Yesterday was terrible.  It started around 4 am when Happy Feet decided to get up. After making her way through my make up (especially the mascara) she woke up Red Shoes.  The naughty was on.  We had to leave early to go to one of Red Shoes' doctors appointments.   I don't know what I was thinking, but I took all three kids with me. I don't do that very often, but sometimes it's just necessary.

Before I had even made it 4 miles I got honked at (not the friendly kind),  and my kids had demanded about 50 different things of me.  I'm not talking about necessary things. These were all frivolous in nature.

When we got to the doctors appointment I got all three kids out of their car seats and we made our way into the hospital.  When we tried to check in the security guard informed me that the clinic that we needed to be at had moved. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! By that time, my normally well mannered and obedient Red Shoes flipped out. He wanted to go to the cafeteria instead of his appointment.  I tried explaining that we couldn't, we HAD to go and NOW. He went even further into meltdown mode.  I finally wrangled the kids into their car seats again.  What happened after that was not pretty.  I had Red Shoes crying and Happy Feet yelling at me because she needed more apple juice.  Guess who went into meltdown mode next?  Yes, that would be me. I'm not proud about how I handled the situation, I screamed... a lot, and really loud.  My throat hurt until about noon.  I don't like screamer moms, but I had lost my mind.

Anyway, we finally got to the right building and I parked.  Red Shoes was still crying and did not want to go inside.  He was laying on the van floor by then.  I tried to talk to him about it. I think he was scared about this appointment. It was the sleep study doctor. I think that he thought he was going to have to spend the night again.  I get that, believe me I do. I thought about just going home.  We were all wiped out and it wasn't even 8:30 a.m. 

I finally got everyone moving and realized that I was going to have to carry my stroller up about 10 steps...while supervising Red Shoes & Happy Feet.  Seriously.

We checked in and Swoosh decided it was his turn.  EXACTLY WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF! I think every employee in the clinic came to see what wacko mom/family was at there.  Red Shoes didn't want to cooperate with the nurse, Happy Feet was sticking her finger in the electrical outlet, and my baby was screaming his head off.  It took everything, I repeat everything, I had within me to not run out crying. 

The nurses, receptionists and doctor were all nice and tried to be helpful, but I know we were the subject of many conversations yesterday...and rightfully so I'm afraid.

I tried to listen to everything the doctor was telling me but I just couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. 

I hate days like yesterday.  We made it home safely and Red Shoes was excited to get to school and go to his Valentine's party.  After lunch I put Happy Feet down for her nap.  I thought all was right with the world for the first time that day when I heard a horrible crash.  I ran into her room and found her laying under her bookcase. She was very scared and she had a cut on her cheek.   It looks just terrible today. Here's a picture.

I think when we experience days like this, it helps us to appreciate all of the other good days we normally have.  The days when we aren't at the mercy of traffic or office re-locations and when the kids are well rested and ready for the day. This was just a bad little blip. I can say that now, because it's a new day.  Thank God for that! Pin It

No comments: