Friday, February 18, 2011

Photography 101 **The Rule of Thirds**

I'm enjoying my photography class.  I'm going to write about it each week in hopes that it will help it all sink in.  The first week we learned about the Rule of Thirds.  According to Wikipedia, "The Rule of Thirds is a compositional rule of thumb in visual arts such as painting, photography and design.  The rule states that an image should be imagined as divided into nine equal parts by two equally-spaced horizontal lines and two equally-spaced vertical lines, and that important compositional elements should be placed along these lines or their intersections."

In the examples (from Google Images) below you can see the nine equal parts and the two equally spaced horizontal lines.  Notice how in the pictures below, the bloom of the flowers is along the intersecting lines.  Both of the flowers are on the right side of the frame.  My instructor says that this (the right side) is the strongest side.




Now, take a stab at this one below...Do you see how it vividly applies to the Rule of Thirds?


I submitted two pictures for class this week.  My instructor liked this picture and thought it was a good example of the Rule of Thirds. 


He didn't like this one at all. 


He said that the tree totally disrupts the picture.  If you didn't see the tree it would be better. Do you see it? I do now.  So much to learn.

If there's ever been something that you've wanted to learn more about do it. I want to encourage you to take that step. Sign up for a community education class or go to your local university...It's exciting to learn something new and it's good to stretch yourself. Do it, I dare you!

Would you like to see a few others that I took?  Some apply to the rule, others not so much. 
  Pin It

No comments: