Thursday, January 13, 2011

How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup

I'm going to teach you how to make chicken noodle soup.  If you've never tried it you must learn.  If you already know, then you can probably teach me a few things. Here's how I make it. 

First, I pull a chicken out of my deep freezer.  I put it in a large stockpot and fill the pot up with water (about 3/4 full). 

I  boil it a long time (especially since it's frozen). Just guessing maybe 3 hours?  When you are able, start picking at it and kind of pull the chicken apart.  It will cook a little faster this way.

When the chicken is completely cooked, separate the liquid from the chicken. I use a colander to pour the liquid into a different bowl. Let the chicken stock (liquid) sit until it cools a little, then put it in the refrigerator so the fat will separate from the stock.  I do this overnight.
Next, get your chicken out of the pot and begin separating the the good from the bad.  You want to remove all of the fatty skin and bones.  Keep the good meat. This is what the chicken  looked like before I started.
And when I was finished...
The next day I pulled the chicken stock out of the refrigerator
Get a spoon and remove the white solid layer of fat
Put the separated chicken stock into a pot and turn the stove onto medium-high
Add in onions
And then add in carrots & chicken bouillon cubes
(I generally use Wyler's) I used five of them to start with
Throw in the chicken too (not pictured).  Let it boil until the carrots are cooked.
 In the meantime it's time to make my mom's noodles.

You will need:
1 whole egg
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of water
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon of salt

Mix eggs, oil and water.
Add flour and salt, mix well until dough forms into a smooth ball. (Okay, so this doesn't exactly look like a "smooth ball".  It was getting there. 
Divide the dough in half. Roll each half out on a floured surface until it is very thin.
 Leave the rolled out dough out to dry for one hour. 
Then cut it into noodles. I like thick, wide noodles like these.
Drop into boiling chicken stock and cook 10 minutes or until done. I boiled
mine a lot longer than that...but again, I like the thicker noodles.
And the finished product...
What a perfect ending to a very cold January day!

Go HERE for the printable version of chicken noodle soup
Go HERE for the printable version of egg noodles.






Pin It

No comments: